Sardines lovers (Sardelades) – Kaselades
The city of fish! A city almost an island since it is rained almost everywhere by the sea. For Kavala, the seas are a life-giving, due to its natural wealth and the trade through the centuries, one of the most important ports in the country once upon a time.
The inhabitants are lovers of this natural wealth and especially the sardines, accessible to all (cost-wise) and very healthy.
The nickname sardelades – kaselades gives this love and adoration of the inhabitants for the specific high nutrition fish.
Our recipe holds the basis of tradition and goes one step further by espousing it with another technique.
- 500 gr. sardines cleaned and filleted
- 1 cup of Carolina rice
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 fresh onions, finely chopped
- 1 pc. Chopped garlic
- 2 yolks
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 100 gr. Top mozzarella fresh and grated
- 100 gr. butter
- Chopped parsley
- Chopped dill
- Chopped mint
- Finely chopped marathon
- 1 tbsp. dried grapes
- 1 tbsp. roasted pine nuts
- ½ tbsp. spice powder
- 100 ml white wine
- 50 ml ouzo
- Olive oil
- 15 gr. bread crumbs
- Cut the 100 gr. sardines in small pieces and in adeep pan sauté them for 3΄ in olive oil.
- Remove them and then sauté the onion and garlic inthe same pan until they wither.
- Add the rice, raisins, pinenuts, fennel, saffron, pepper and allspice, salt and continue sautéing for 2΄more.
- Quench with the wine and ouzo and add ½ fl. waterand boil until absorbed by the rice, stirring gradually.
- Remove the pan from the heat and after it cools addthe chopped sardines, chives, dill, parsley and mint.
- Try for salt and if necessary add.
- Finish the mixture by adding the yolks, themozzarella and stirring, and then shape into a round, thin pie in a non-stickpan the size you want, after we have put melted butter on the bottom, sprinklewith the bread crumbs and cover with the breadcrumbs.
- Place the rice "pie"and spread with a little butter. Cook over low heat until the sardines turnbrown, about 7 '.
- Turn it upside down with thehelp of a plate and continue cooking until our rice becomes crusty and takes ona golden color.