Multiculturalism and locality
After 1922, Kavala was among the Greek cities to enrich with new inhabitants, the survivor-refugees of Asia Minor. They integrated into the city, wove their own weft and grafted it to the place. The Mussel-cups (Midosarmades) are a favorite dish of the people of Asia Minor, which highlights the ingenuity and the promotion of the taste with a special technique that once became a local food and Kavala-citizens could not think that there would be no mussels with their ouzo at their Sunday table. So let’s remember them again.
- 1 small knife with a sharp nose
- 1 green cutting surface
- 1 wire brush
- 1 baking tray
- 2 wide and shallow pots
- Dishes for mussel cover
- 1 wooden spatula
- 500 gr. glutinous rice
- 500 gr. dried onion, finely chopped
- 200 gr. pine nuts
- 200 gr. black currant
- 15 gr. cinnamon
- 2 kg grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of mint, finely chopped, only the leaves
- 1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped, only the leaves
- 1.5 kg fresh mussels
- 100 ml olive oil
- 500 ml water
- 200 ml lemon
- Stalks from herbs
How to prepare the filling:
- In a wide saucepan put a bottom of olive oil and ona low heat wither the onion.
- Add the pine nuts and bring two walks. Add theraisins and spices.
- Add the rice and stir until shiny
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from theheat.
- Add the parsley and mint andleave to cool.
How to prepare mussels:
- In a large saucepan pour olive oil and spreadstalks of herbs to cover the bottom.
- Fill the raw mussels, close them and put them inthe pot next to each other tightly together.
- I add water, lemon and a little more olive oil.
- Cover with wet oil glue and something heavy so thatthey do not move and open.
- Put on medium heat.
- From the moment it boilsonwards it takes about 15 to 20 minutes.